Paeans - and Aches

over the years

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

And so you return, my love

And so you return, my love,
as if nothing had happened,
expecting the yearning
I have let you claim as your own.
You dance for me,
tap on my window,
sing siren songs from under the trees,
confident that I will smile,
and come running.
Yes, it’s true
that in the past
I have forgiven anew each year
your absence,
let go unquestioned
your other dalliances;
content to love you
when you want to be loved.
But after last year,
when you battered me senseless;
after last year,
when you took so much of me;
after last year,
I welcome you ..
with hesitation,
with fear.
Yes, I need you,
I will admit that.
But it’s a saner love now,
after last year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lees said...

Its beautiful

1/11/06 12:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this love poem ends on a note of dismay at the need that makes him welcome her back...it is about vulnerability, and not being sure, and still being driven to take a risk. I liked it.
...I think if one can endure, one can forgive, and then if one has really forgiven, one is not vulnerable any more. Mercy, even when the other is incapable of asking for it, doesn't 'deserve' it, has that effect.

2/9/11 16:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home